I thought I would do something this week that I have never done before in my blog …and that is to do a book giveaway for a text that I think is very useful for those of us in the classroom.
One area that will always improve our ability to connect in the classroom is by using tried and true techniques. They are what fill our educational “tool belt” and give us an improved ability to create change in the classroom.
This past fall I took the recommendation of a friend and purchased this book and then did something out of the ordinary and purchased it through Audible. I love reading but I had a long trip coming up and an audio book seemed the way to go.
I was delighted with this book because not only is it about critical thinking, but it is written by two professors and I found a lot of practicality within its audio “pages.” The book description says it well: “The idea is simple: You can learn how to think far better by adopting specific strategies. Brilliant people aren’t a special breed–they just use their minds differently.”
The authors use the interesting metaphors of earth, fire, air, and water to talk about each of the elements of effective thinking:
- earth – that to truly understand means understanding the simple things deeply
- fire – that we can ignite insights through the mistakes that we make
- air – that answers can lead to questions and questioning is an art that leads to authentic learning
- water – that we understand current ideas through the flow of ideas
And the fifth element? The authors call it that “quintessential element,” or the ability to continue to change.
I found this read to be both practical and insightful. And coming from two educators made me feel as if this book was written for my needs in the classroom. Down to earth and engaging, you will find these ideas effective for moving you along in your own teaching abilities.
I would love to have one of my readers obtain a physical copy of this book. To get a chance, you must take the following three actions:
- Leave a comment below. Tell me why you want this book. Tell me how it will help you as an educator. Will you read it? Only one comment entry per person.
- Fill out the special form. Click on this contact form link to make it convenient to enter your address. Please do not put your shipping address as your comment, however. This will automatically disqualify you.
- Share the link to this post via Twitter or Facebook.
On Monday, February 3rd, I will select one winner based solely on my arbitrary and subjective evaluation of their comments and the completion of all three steps. If you are the one selected, you will be notified via email. If you do not hear from me, you can assume you were not selected. No purchase necessary. This book is worth approximately $10.99.